January 20, 2006

Where's the Party?

Where’s the Party?

“Mornings feel so damn sad these days.” ~ The Cowboy Junkies

Yes, Margo, they do.

I watch with open eyes and an open mind as the world before me continually spins faster into chaos. Will it stop? Hell, will it just slow down? Probably not.

I know history is replete with power, greed, control, and war. It must be human nature because there have always been groups of individuals who sought more land, wealth, and subjects. The Bush Administration is no different. Thus, the events of today fall neatly into the same pattern that was established long before the great-great-great ancestors of any of these current power-hungry individuals even existed. Sadly, the cycle may continue forever.

It appears we are now approaching the eve of an attack on Iran. I find it interesting that big oil producing countries are not allowed to have nuclear capabilities. Only the countries that use the majority of that oil are allowed to have them. Now why is that?

In addition, isn’t it rather interesting to note that five of the top six countries with the largest oil reserves are Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, Iran, and the United Arab Emirates? Let’s see, the U.S. already has its hands in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, and the UAE. For those of you not paying attention, that leaves Iran. National Security? Hardly.

So we humans continue to make the same mistakes we’ve made since first understanding the concepts of power, greed, and control. Maybe Darwin was wrong, for I see no evidence that humans have evolved toward a civilized species. We’re still the same warring, arrogant species we’ve always been. Only the names have changed.

And as we all know, religion has played its part in helping these men (and they have almost all been men) manipulate their subjects to do their bidding. Holy Wars, Jihads, whatever, we just need to kill that group of individuals over there because their god is not the one, true God, and if we don’t kill them then they’ll kill us.

What kind of logic says we must kill someone because they don’t believe as we do? Correct, it is not logical. Instead, it is a way of manipulating one group of people into attacking another group of people. In other words, it’s all about control. The leaders of people know and understand this, and history has shown they have been very good at promoting this kind of thought from their subjects. Today is no different.

Now what we do have in America today is the facade of opposition parties: Republicans and Democrats. Supposedly they have different philosophies but lately they have appeared to be just about the same when it comes to power, wealth, and control. Where’s the opposition Party?

I want a Party that says regardless if the Bush Administration lied us into war, or was incompetent in their intelligence gathering, neither option is worthy of an administration leading this country.

I want a Party that opposes war.

I want a Party that opposes the Preemptive War Policy.

I want a Party that opposes torture. All kinds of torture.

I want a Party that will not use God as a way to manipulate the masses.

I want a Party that will not allow Religion and Government to mix.

I want a Party that does not cater to the top 1% of wealthy Americans.

I want a Party that will not spy on its citizens.

I want a Party that will not militarily interfere with other people’s countries.

I want a Party that believes in world cooperation with a live-and-let-live attitude.

I want a Party that understands and respects the differences between the peoples of this world.

I want a Party that will reduce the military/war budget and will use those funds to make sure the people of this country get health care.

I want a Party that will end our dependence on oil and will encourage companies to create new technologies.

I want a Party that will not be bought by the highest bidder.

I want a Party that will tell me the truth even if I may not like what I hear.

I want a Party that will break the cycle we humans have been in for centuries.

Is this too much to ask? Are there humans capable of doing the things mentioned above or is it true that all men would be tyrants if they could? Power does corrupt. So, maybe humans are just a weak species and what I want truly is impossible.

However, despite my pessimistic view of humanity, I can not accept that it is impossible. If this Party does not currently exist, then it must be created. Why have we been brainwashed to believe that we only have two “choices” for leadership in this country? Because it is easier to control two parties than it is to control several. That is why a third party is always squashed like the proverbial bug.

I say to hell with that.

I am a realist, not a utopian, but I want a Party that represents Humanity, not big business, not religion, not special interest groups, not white America, not black America, not brown America, not yellow America, not red America, but ALL America.

Where’s the Party?

3 comments:

Randy Anderson said...

Hey Velid.

I agree that time may not be on our side. It seems to be running out rather quickly.

Bush's support has dropped so low that he'll need some kind of "event" to rally the masses. That's why I found it interesting that Osama was paraded before us the other day to rattle the prols. It seems "they" are setting the stage in order to attack Iran by March. If an "event" does occur, I will not be jumping on the Osama did it bandwagon. It's too damn convenient.

And if Hillary is the choice for the Democratic Party, then that Party has failed America, as well. She has been saying that Bush hasn't been hard enough on Iran.

Although, some days I wonder if America will make it to the next presidential election. Eventually, all great empires fall. America will be no different.

Unknown said...

I'm too pessimistic to think such a party could exist. Individuals may have these characteristics, but once they organize, I'd be willing to bet that one or more of the principles you've stated will be lost. The the rest would follow soon thereafter. Some would go due to corruption, others simply due to pragmatism (or the perception of pragmatism).

But then again, I'm fairly pessimistic about politics these days, so who knows.

Randy Anderson said...

Luis,

I join you in your political pessimism. I only wish there were people strong enough to lead a party I envision. However, I know it is not feasible. People succumb too easily to the lure of wealth and power. Morality is left behind in favor of the euphoria of control. Some crave more control than others and I believe that's why some administrations (world leaders) seem worse than others.

Thus, humanity's cycle will continue to follow history's sinusoidal wave.