July 13, 2007

Texas adds 'under God' to state Pledge

More than 50 years after the words “under God” were added to the national Pledge of Allegiance, Texas has made the phrase part of its oath.

...

The revised pledge, which went into effect immediately, is now: “Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.”

What kind of "pledge" is that?

And pledges seem so cultish to me.

From webster.com: "6 a : a binding promise or agreement to do or forbear b (1) : a promise to join a fraternity, sorority, or secret society (2) : a person who has so promised"

So, is Texas a fraternity, sorority, or a secret society? I'm betting it's the latter option. Seems my "cultish" idea might not be far off from the truth. ;-)

And what about those that don't believe in a god? Does that make their pledge lesser than those that do? Or are they forbidden to say the pledge? And BTW, what's the purpose of saying the pledge?

You know, I'm tired of this pledge thing now, so I'll stop ranting.

Grab a dust cloth and get your pledge here.

No comments: