August 29, 2008

McCain's VP Wants Creationism Taught in School

In a 2006 gubernatorial debate, the soon-to-be governor of Alaska said of evolution and creation education, "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of education. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

...

"It's unfortunate McCain would pick someone who shares those particular anti-science views, but it's not a surprise," said Barbara Forrest, a Southeastern Lousiana University philosophy professor and prominent critic of creationist science. "She's a choice that pleases the religious right. And the religious right has been the chief force against teaching evolution."

...

According to Fordham Institute science education expert Lawrence Lerner, Palin's nomination is less worrisome in terms of education than the broad relationship of science and government.


It seems to me Sarah Palin was chosen for her looks. Let's face it, McCain is, well, "weathered," and I'm sure having a "trophy VP" will help change the view of his "attractiveness" to Joe Public.

Read more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know a whole lot about Palin... to be honest, all I know I've learned today. That said, I think that both pro and con statements made for such a relatively unknown person have to be taken with a grain of salt. After reading the Wired article, I did a search and ran across this Little Green Footballs article: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31088_Sarah_Palin_and_Creationism

I'm hoping we can get to know what this candidate truly believes during the campaigning process.

That said, I do think she's pretty hot :)