September 4, 2005

The Buck Stops Where?

There have been four major catastrophes since this adminstration took over in January 2001.

Four.

1. September 11, 2001.

2. The reasons for invading a country that posed no threat to any other country on the planet.

3. The Iraq War would be a "cake walk."

4. The disaster of New Orleans.

Four.

That averages to almost one catastrophe per year for this adminstration. This does not bode well for our immediate future.

And guess what? That's right, no one has been held accountable for any of these catastrophes. This administration refuses to take responsibility for anything. How long will the American public allow this injustice to continue?

It's been said the person at the top gets the blame because, well, they're the person at the top. Um, yeah, they get blamed. It happened on their watch so to speak.

Now, I'm not saying that one person is completely responsible for all four of the catastrophes listed above. I am sure there are many people who should be held responsible. However, it is clear that this adminstration does not like to hear bad news. So much so they refuse to believe bad news exists.

1. This adminstration was warned about 9/11. So much so, there was a similar "terror drill" taking place on 9/11. Their response: We never thought anyone would fly planes into buildings.

2. This administration was told time and again that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, nor did the decimated country have any weapons of mass destruction. Their response: I can't count the number of different reasons we have been given to justify invading Iraq.

3. This adminstration was told that taking over Iraq would not be a "cake walk" and would require significantly more troops than what this administration wanted. Their response: They finally put somebody in office that told them what they wanted to hear. Now, we're nearing an official death count of 2000 soldiers.

4. This adminstration was warned about the levees in New Orleans. Their response: they cut funding for improving the levees, then claimed they were all surprised when the levees broke and flooded New Orleans.

The more cynical of us claim this administration does nothing but lie to the people. However, if you refuse to believe that, then I ask how can you refuse to see the gross incompetence of this administration?

It has to be one or the other: either they lied or they are completely incompetent. Neither of which is appropriate for the leaders of this, or any other, country.

If our leaders refuse to bear any responsibility then why should we? Oh, I'm sorry officer. Yeah, my mechanic told me that my brakes were going and needed to be replaced, but I really wanted that new plasma television so I didn't get the brakes. Yeah, I know. But how was I supposed to know that my brakes would fail today when this kid was crossing the street? I'm sorry he's dead, I'm just surprised that my car wouldn't stop.

I'm sure that excuse would go over well with the courts. We all know that I would be held accountable, and rightly so, for the death of that kid because of my gross incompetence. Are Iraq and New Orleans any different? I don't think so.

No comments: