December 2, 2007

The 'tut-tut' police keep us on the street and narrow

The nanny-state at work:

The fun police have slapped an "adults only" warning on a new DVD of classic episodes, which featured a world in which children played in the street, a monster gorged on cookies and a bad-tempered puppet lived in a bin.

The episodes, made between 1969 and 1974, have been released in the US with the caution: "These early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child."


I guess I'm a screwed up adult considering those were the episodes I watched as a child.

Back then, Big Bird's bumbling friend Mr Snuffleupagus was still imaginary, which might encourage "delusion behaviour". And trash-loving Oscar the Grouch has been targetted for his blatant bad manners and questionable hygiene.

"We might not be able to create a character like Oscar today," Parente told The New York Times.


I loved Mr. Snuffleupagus! I guess that means I'm delusional. And Oscar, I thought he was the funniest.

Griffiths said children could tell the difference between fantasy and reality and did not blindly mimic the behaviour of clearly fictional characters.

"People who claim to be protecting children always make the assumption that what children see is what they will do," he said. "Underlying that is the assumption that kids can't tell the difference between fantasy and real life and I have found that to be consistently bogus."


Ah, the voice of reason.

I guess, I'll be getting these early seasons of Sesame Street and showing to my preschool child. I'm wondering if I should stay away from today's "politically correct" seasons.

Read more.

No comments: